Reports to the Fitness Manager, under the guidance of the Fitness Coordinator. Implements fitness programming in accordance with established Beacon Health & Fitness (BH&F) operational policies and procedures; also consulting with members regarding their exercise programs and needs. Works with the Fitness Coordinator to organize, implement, operate and retain special programs in the fitness area for all BH&F members. Assists with the coordination of the day-to-day operations by ensuring there is sufficient staff coverage for the fitness areas, special programs, events and classes.
MISSION & VISION
Mission: To enhance the physical, mental and emotional well-being of the communities we serve as the communitys provider of outstanding quality, superior value and comprehensive health care services.
Vision: Our vision is to achieve:
* Innovative health care and well-being services of the highest quality at the greatest value
* Easy access and convenience
* Outstanding patient experiences
* Ongoing education involving physicians, patients and the community
Education and Experience
The knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated below are normally acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelors Degree in Exercise Science or a health related field with coursework in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology and Anatomy. Within 90 days of employment, certification through the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) in one of the following is required:
* Certified Personal Trainer
* Health Fitness Specialist
* Clinical Exercise Specialist
* Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist
* Within one year of employment, certification through the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America as a Group Exercise Instructor is required.
* Experience in fitness testing and programming is preferred.
Knowledge & Skills
1. Demonstrates the technical knowledge of basic kinesiology, exercise programming and exercise physiology to include their application in order to instruct members about proper exercise techniques. Teach adult exercise classes.
2. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal communication skills (both verbal and written) and motivational skills necessary to interact in a highly effective manner with members and the BF&H staff.
3. Possesses a personal commitment to positive fitness and health practices by presenting an image consistent with a fit and healthy lifestyle.
4. Demonstrates strong customer service satisfaction skills.
5. Requires the technical expertise necessary to perform health risk appraisals, low-level strength and conditioning testing and evaluations.
1. Works in a fitness club and office environment.
2. Requires the ability to work flexible hours, which may vary depending on the needs of the H&LC facility.
1. Requires the physical ability and stamina to perform the essential functions of the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
The below statements are intended to describe the essential job functions and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel occupying this position.
1. Implements fitness programming in accordance with established BH&F operational policies and procedures by:
* Consulting with members regarding their exercise programs and needs.
* Administering a variety of tests, such as the sub-maximal exercise stress test, body composition, flexibility and strength test for fitness evaluation purposes. Answer members questions in a clear and concise manner.
* Providing follow-up with members on a regular basis about their biometric data and exercise program.
* Answering clients and members questions regarding fitness and training. Also demonstrate the correct exercise form and procedure on all current BH&F equipment for new and existing members.
* Preparing individualized exercise prescriptions based on data collected, and instructing members in proper techniques of exercise intervention.
* Monitoring all aspects of the fitness program to ensure that the quality and the level of resources necessary to fulfill the fitness requirements of members is maintained.
* Presenting instructional classes to members regarding the correct physiological techniques necessary for proper exercise performance.
* Conducting personal training sessions for members and exercise classes for special groups/populations.
* Ability to maintain minimum requirements on retention of clients and minimum sessions per week.
* Conducting health appraisals for members, then interpret and explain the results.
* Assisting or leading MFA specialty classes/programs.
2. Provides support to the BH&F management team by:
* Training and orienting all new BH&F staff and interns, in conjunction with the Fitness Coordinator.
* Providing tours of the BH&F as necessary, and assisting with the sign up process for new members.
* Monitoring all equipment to ensure proper operation by conducting preventive maintenance and notifying the Fitness Coordinator regarding any malfunctioning equipment.
* Receiving comments, suggestions and/or complaints from members, then taking appropriate action to ensure excellent customer service and membership satisfaction. Also, providing feedback to the Director and/or Fitness Promotions Manager and/or Fitness
* Coordinator. Assisting the Fitness Promotions Manager and/or Fitness Coordinator in the application and enforcement of all BH&F rules and regulations; also following all emergency procedures as outlined in the BH&F operations manual.
* Assisting in the design, development, coordination and evaluation of a variety of motivational programs and special events for the BH&F membership.
* Providing coverage for the front desk or the membership staff as necessary.
* Performing all opening and closing procedures for the facility according to established procedures.
* Communicating with the Fitness Promotions Manager and Fitness Coordinator (and/or Director) regarding any concerns or problems (for example, the scheduling of staff ) in a timely manner.
3. Performs other functions to maintain personal competence and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the department by:
* Completing other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR
Anticipates and takes proactive steps to ensure customers needs are met
Places courtesy and service above routine and goes beyond customer expectations
Keeps patient/work environment neat and clean
Understands and applies job-related aspects of patient safety and identifies, reports and corrects safety concerns as quickly as possible
Keeps others well informed
Practices active listening
Develops and maintains positive working relationships
Uses problem solving techniques to resolve issues and makes decisions within personal sphere of influence
Seeks to understand patient’s experience
Demonstrates integrity and strong business ethics
Utilizes time and resources in a prudent manner
Strives to continually improve department processes and services
Projects professional image through enthusiasm towards work, behavior and appearance
Demonstrates Beacon values verbally and through actions
Displays and exhibits caring behaviors with each interaction
Demonstrates self-awareness and sensitivity to the perceptions of others
Listens carefully to input and concerns and takes appropriate action
Interacts with dissatisfied customers in a calm, respectful manner and seeks resolutions
Maintains confidentiality at all times
Fosters a sense of trust and collaboration among associates
Verbal and written communications are clear and effective
Responds to change in a positive manner
Associate complies with the following organizational requirements:
* Attends and participates in department meetings and is accountable for all information shared.
* Completes mandatory education, annual competencies and department specific education within established timeframes.
* Completes annual employee health requirements within established timeframes.
* Maintains license/certification, registration in good standing throughout fiscal year.
* Direct patient care providers are required to maintain current BCLS (CPR) and other certifications as required by position/department.
* Consistently utilizes appropriate universal precautions, protective equipment, and ergonomic techniques to protect patient and self.
* Adheres to regulatory agency requirements, survey process and compliance.
* Complies with established organization and department policies.
* Available to work overtime in addition to working additional or other shifts and schedules when required.
Commitment to Beacon’s six-point Operating System, referred to as The Beacon Way:
* Leverage innovation everywhere.
* Cultivate human talent.
* Embrace performance improvement.
* Build greatness through accountability.
* Use information to improve and advance.
* Communicate clearly and continuously.
* The knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated below are normally acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelors Degree in Exercise Science or a health related field with coursework in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology and Anatomy. Within 90 days of employment, certification through the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) in one of the following is required:
+ Certified Personal Trainer
+ Health Fitness Specialist
+ Clinical Exercise Specialist
+ Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist
* Within one year of employment, certification through the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America as a Group Exercise Instructor is required. Experience in fitness testing and programming is preferred.