Reports to Director. Provides pacemaker patient education pertaining to care of surgical site and distributes pacemaker literature at initial office evaluation. Communicates with the cardiologist and refers physician when findings warrant intervention. Serves as liaison with referring physicians, hospital staff, patients and families.
MISSION & VISION
Mission: To enhance the physical, mental and emotional well-being of the communities we serve as the communitys provider of outstanding quality, superior value and comprehensive health care services.
Vision: Our vision is to achieve:
* Innovative health care and well-being services of the highest quality at the greatest value
* Easy access and convenience
* Outstanding patient experiences
* Ongoing education involving physicians, patients and the community
Education and Experience
The knowledge, skills, and abilities as indicated below are normally acquired through the successful completion of an Associates Degree or Professional Training. IBHRE certification preferred. A minimum of 1 to 2 years of job-related experience. Minimum of two years experience in pacemaker and ICD follow-up preferred. Must maintain current BLS certification. Working knowledge of established physician office procedures and practices.
Knowledge & Skills
1. Advanced understanding of the clinical implications of EP, pacemakers and ICDs.
2. Must ensure work in progress and information is always kept confidential.
3. Strong interpersonal skills are necessary.
4. Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
5. 12 Lead ECG Analysis.
6. Basic Dysrhythmia Interpretation.
7. Requires proficient computer skills (i.e. data entry, word processing, spreadsheets and computerized audio-visual equipment).
1. Works in a clean, well-lit office environment with controlled temperature and ventilation.
2. Works with bio hazardous material and is exposed to contagious diseases with protective equipment provided.
3. Varying exposure to unpleasant odors, fumes and toxic or corrosive substances with protective equipment provided.
Requires the physical ability and stamina (i.e. to walk/stand for prolonged periods of time, push carts/wheelchairs up to 50 pounds, to position/lift patients at a maximum of 35 pounds unassisted, over 35 pounds requires assistance, provide CPR, etc.) to perform the essential functions of the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
The below statements are intended to describe the essential job functions and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel occupying this position.
1. Caring and Healing Environment:
* Exhibits self-care as evidenced by balancing workload and scheduling lunch breaks.
* Schedules and utilizes vacation days to renew/refresh as appropriate.
* Recognizes stress or situational frustration while on duty and takes respite time as appropriate.
* Care of team and care of patients/families present in core values/standards of behavior.
* Accepts accountability and responsibility to address issues and conflicts. Follows up with Director as needed.
* Acts as a role model and precepts new associates as requested.
* Communicate, collaborate, and function with other members of the health team.
* Informs nurse/physician of any life threatening emergencies, changes in patient condition.
* Participates in shift briefs, debriefs, and huddles to improve communication, patient care, and teamwork.
* Relays accurate pertinent information to nurse, physicians, director in timely manner.
* Responds promptly to patient, family, and staff needs. Assists in emergency situations as directed.
* Fosters sense of trust and collaboration among team members and other departments.
4. Professional Practice:
* Takes ownership and pride in their job.
* Respect the dignity and rights of the patient regardless of socioeconomic status, personal attributes, or nature of health problem.
* Maintain each patients right to privacy by protecting confidential information.
5. Patient Care Delivery:
* Provides care and education to patients needing or have had a Pacemaker/ICD placed or are needing cardiac monitoring (holter, event recorder monitoring).
* At initial office evaluation, provides pacemaker patient education pertaining to care of surgical site, distributes pacemaker literature.
* Follows up with pacemaker and ICD patients via return office visits and/or remote monitoring.
* Analyzes implanted ICDs, pacemakers and leads through testing in the office by use of appropriate programmers and proper follow-up procedures.
* Assists in obtaining test results and rhythm strips for (a) review by cardiologist as needed; (b) sending a copy to all referring physicians.
* Communicates with the cardiologist and referring physician when findings warrant intervention.
* Provides education to the ICD/pacemaker patient regarding implantation, implications of implant, care of surgical site, followup care and the procedure in case of an emergency.
* Provides formal and informal educational training for clinical staff and community on topics of EP, pacemakers and ICD’s as needed or requested.
* Prepares patients prior to seeing the physician, obtaining appropriate information, taking blood pressure and pulse and documenting in the patients chart and responding to the patients concerns and questions.
* Maintains up-to-date knowledge of changes and trends in areas relating to job responsibilities.
Laboratory Procedures / Processing and Preparation
* Adheres to quality control policies and documents all quality control activities.
* Cleans and restocks device clinic, holters and event monitors, procedure section, exam rooms and nurse’s station.
* Assembles patient charts for Pacemaker and ICD follow-up and assists in expediting the retrieval of medical records.
* Maintains accurate and updated files of the Pacemaker Clinic (patient charts, device information and computer data base).
Holter/Event monitoring and Patient Care
* Hooks up Holter, Event and MCOT monitors.
* Follows up with proper transmission and billing.
* Assists Echo Sonographer with stress echo and regular stress tests when requested.
* Assists with stress tests and stress echo which includes hook-up and monitoring the patient during testing, includes BP monitoring.
* Works with physicians to ensure their needs are met and consult for their input.
Phone Triage and Scheduling
* Serves as liaison with referring physicians, hospital staff, patients and families during the time the physicians are unavailable.
* Assists with scheduling all pacemaker and ICD follow-up checks according to Medicare guidelines.
* Addresses patient calls and responds to their concerns and questions, communicates appropriate concerns to the physician and documents in the patient chart.
Supply Inventory/Department Maintenance
* Monitors stock supplies and materials and reports shortages.
* Keeps the rooms and department areas neat and orderly.
* Performs QA checks as directed.
6. Resource Driven Practice:
* Seek education and supervision as necessary.
* Participates in councils, committees, and process improvement activities.
* Has regular and prompt attendance.
* Attends 80% of staff meetings.
* Attends mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
* Maintains current BLS.
* Completes skills validation and on-line learning as required.
* Receives patient feedback via call backs, leader rounds, or surveys.
8. Contribute to the overall effectiveness of the department
* Completes other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR
* Anticipates and takes proactive steps to ensure customers needs are met
* Places courtesy and service above routine and goes beyond customer expectations
* Keeps patient/work environment neat and clean
* Understands and applies job-related aspects of patient safety and identifies, reports and corrects safety concerns as quickly as possible
* Keeps others well informed
* Practices active listening
* Develops and maintains positive working relationships
* Uses problem solving techniques to resolve issues and makes decisions within personal sphere of influence
* Seeks to understand patient’s experience
* Demonstrates integrity and strong business ethics
* Utilizes time and resources in a prudent manner
* Strives to continually improve department processes and services
* Projects professional image through enthusiasm towards work, behavior and appearance
* Demonstrates Beacon values verbally and through actions
* Displays and exhibits caring behaviors with each interaction
* Demonstrates self-awareness and sensitivity to the perceptions of others
* Listens carefully to input and concerns and takes appropriate action
* Interacts with dissatisfied customers in a calm, respectful manner and seeks resolutions
* Maintains confidentiality at all times
* Fosters a sense of trust and collaboration among associates
* Verbal and written communications are clear and effective
* Responds to change in a positive manner
Associate complies with the following organizational requirements:
* Attends and participates in department meetings and is accountable for all information shared.
* Completes mandatory education, annual competencies and department specific education within established timeframes.
* Completes annual employee health requirements within established timeframes.
* Maintains license/certification, registration in good standing throughout fiscal year.
* Direct patient care providers are required to maintain current BC LS (CPR) and other certifications as required by position/department.
* Consistently utilizes appropriate universal precautions, protective equipment, and ergonomic techniques to protect patient and self.
* Adheres to regulatory agency requirements, survey process and compliance.
* Complies with established organization and department policies.
* Available to work overtime in addition to working additional or other shifts and schedules when required.
Commitment to Beacon’s six-point Operating System, referred to as The Beacon Way:
* Leverage innovation everywhere.
* Cultivate human talent.
* Embrace performance improvement.
* Build greatness through accountability.
* Use information to improve and advance.
* Communicate clearly and continuously.