Ascend Learning, LLC is a global leader providing online education, assessment, remediation, certification and e-learning solutions for the post-secondary academic market specifically serving the nursing, allied health, sports medicine, public safety, and the financial services industries. Ascend employs more than 900 employees in 35 states. Ascend’s portfolio companies consist of Jones and Bartlett Learning, ATI Nursing Education, the National Healthcare Association, ExamFX, the National Academy of Sports Medicine, Boston Reed, Advanced Informatics and ClickSafety.
The Linux Systems Engineer will be responsible for the implementation and support of the company’s systems infrastructure. This position is highly technical in nature, requires excellent technical skills in a variety of competencies, and the ability to learn and adopt new technologies. The Systems Engineer will join a team of highly motivated engineers who are passionate about technology. The team is responsible for supporting our 24×7 systems infrastructure.
* Implements and supports the organization’s server and storage systems platforms.
* Evaluates current systems environments, conducts research, recommends, and implements innovate systems technology that can enhance the reliability, security, productivity, and efficiency of the IT infrastructure
* Develops and maintains documentation of design, as well as, on-going operation and administration of systems infrastructure
* Contribute to and maintains technical standards for systems infrastructure
* Provides mentoring and acts as an escalation point for junior-level engineers, administrators, and technicians
* Provides Third-tier support for the efficient resolution of systems-related incidents, service requests, and problems; and updates service desk management tool accordingly
* Assists other IT functional teams to troubleshoot critical business systems
* Solves complex problems with many variables
Required Candidate Experience & Qualifications:
* 7+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer or Senior Systems Engineer
* Advanced certifications preferred (e.g. MCSE, MCITP, VCP, CCEE, CCEA)
* A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS, IS, related field or equivalent and related work experience is required
* Experience with Infrastructure Automation and deployment tools such as Salt Stack, Bamboo, Jenkins.
* Experience supporting middleware application such as Apache, Tomcat, and PHP.
* Extensive experience and in-depth knowledge of systems technology, such as but not limited to Ubuntu Linux, CentOS Linux, F5 Load Balancers, Windows 2008 and higher, Active Directory, VMware vSphere 5.5 or higher, SAN (EMC, NetApp), and Data Center design
* Experience with disaster recovery tools such as Zerto, or Veeam.
* Experience with data center consolidation and migrations
* Customer-centric attitude with internal and external customers
* High level of written communication and documentation skills
* Possess knowledge in ITIL processes such as Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Release Management, Service Delivery, and Continual Service Improvement
* Must be disciplined, dynamic and flexible to manage multiple projects and tasks, work effectively in a rapidly changing environment and meet ongoing and overlapping deadlines
* Must be able to operate autonomously with little supervision to achieve desired goals
* Work weekends/nights on occasion for maintenance
* Participate in weekly on-call support rotation
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.