Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It´s a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to alland is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. BMC provides a full range of pediatric and adult care services, from primary to family medicine to advanced specialty care.
BMC is also committed to our employees, who are a very important piece to who we are. We pride ourselves in providing equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. BMC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Job Description Summary
Provides highly skilled administrative support to FPF President and Chief Administrative Officer. General administrative support includes drafting correspondence, preparing presentations, reports, memos, managing organizational contacts, attending meetings, preparing and distributing minutes; and calendar management. Acts as the first point of contact for the Office and triages calls from other departments, donors, the media, other scientists, politicians, advocacy partners and sometimes opposition groups. Schedules meetings, makes travel arrangements and processes travel reimbursements in a timely manner
* Provides executive administrative support to a Department Chair, Executive Director or Vice President and other department senior leaders, including, but not limited to: scheduling appointments, scheduling meetings, taking meeting notes, following up on meeting-generated tasks, preparing documents and slides using PowerPoint, Excel and Microsoft Word.
* Composes high level correspondence and memoranda independently and with professional quality.
* Edits and proofreads all written materials and verifies the validity of data and documents contained in all reports prior to submission.
* Analyzes, categorizes, prioritizes and distributes mail.
* May initiate responses for Chiefs review and/or complete and send out responses on his/her behalf, as per established protocols.
* Maintains Chiefs calendar up-to-date; coordinates vacation, schedules meetings and appointments with particular attention to preventing scheduling conflicts.
* Makes registration and travel arrangements; makes hotel reservations; provides written itineraries for all travel plans.
* Schedules meetings, tracks responses; coordinates audio-visual and technology requirements, orders catering services, etc., as needed.
* Prepares information packages for meetings, and distributes. Takes and prepares minutes of meetings, as required.
* Ensures that minutes and other written documents are accurate and professional.
* Follows up with managers, to ensure adherence to project and tasks deadlines.
* Manages invoices and accounts payable for the department.
* Assists with monitoring departmental budget and account balances.
* Monitors and maintains inventory of office supplies and equipment.
* Purchases supplies as needed and stays within established budget.
* Keeps office equipment in working order and contacts IT or service provider, as necessary, for repairs or replacements.
* Evaluates, develops and revises administrative systems in order to improve efficiency.
Handles telephone calls in a professional, courteous speaking manner; determines nature of all calls and initiates appropriate disposition.
* Creates reports, spreadsheets, charts, presentations or other correspondence requested. Performs office related duties such as maintaining departmental files, manuals and records; picking up mail, categorizing and delivering mail, storing and distributing office supplies, handling faxes, scanning, filing, photocopying collating materials, maintaining the update of policy manuals, etc.
* Deals discreetly with highly sensitive, confidential written, electronic, and oral communications concerning staff, department, and hospital matters.
* Acts as a liaison with external customers to ensure efficient communications.
Conducts online and other types of research Performs other duties as assigned or as necessary.
Bachelors Degree in related field is required or a combination of additional experience and training will be considered
* Three to five years of experience in progressively more responsible positions in office administration with a high proficiency using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
* 1-2 years professional work experience with project management, data management, policy research, non-profit fundraising, or related experience highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Excellent communication skills and diplomacy to interact and communicate effectively with external contacts and hospital staff.
* Must be exceptionally organized to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines and schedules; must be able to keep others organized and on track.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Good critical thinking skills and demonstrated comfort and ability to work independently once given direction.
* High proficiency using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint)